17 JAN 2019
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter

Sports News

Havern shines as Down hammer Queen's

9 January 2019 - by Gareth McCullough at Pairc Esler

Bank of Ireland Dr McKenna Cup – Section A 

Down 4-18 QUB 1-5

Paddy Tally picked up his first victory as Down manager as his men swept aside the meek challenge of Queen’s a Pairc Esler to round off their Bank of Ireland McKenna Cup campaign in fine style.

Two goals from Man of the Match Pat Havern, pictured top, were the highlight of a good attacking performance for the hosts with Tally’s young side able to take heart ahead of the National League opener against Laois on January 26.   

Havern got the scoring underway for Down after just 35 seconds of a game that was much more open than Sunday’s encounter at home to Donegal. 

While Kieran Hughes replied for Shane Mullholland’s students, Paul Devlin, making his first start of the year knocked over two trademark frees in three minutes to put the Mournemen 0-3 to 0-1 to the good with eight minutes on the clock. 

It took just another 60 seconds for Down to grab the first goal of the game when a low ball into the forward line was cleverly left by Owen McCabe and picked up by Havern who turned sharply and drove home a low left-footed shot under the body of Queen’s keeper Eoghan Mulholland. 

Burren’s Ryan Treanor and Hughes registered frees for the visitors either side of Gerard Collins having to go off injured for Down, replaced by David McKibbin. 

The students then drew level at 1-3 apiece when Hughes’ looping free following an attacking mark dropped to the edge of the square and with Down defenders and goalkeeper hesitating, Belleek’s Callum O’Neill stole in to palm the ball to the net off the inside of the left post. 

That was on 18 minutes and it was to be Queen’s last score of the half as Down hit 1-5 without reply to take a commanding lead into the break. 

Mayobridge’s Kevin McClorey, pictured bottom, edged Down in front once again on 20 minutes with a powerful forward run and score before Down grabbed their second maximum of the first period as Declan McClements burst in from the right flank, sold his marker a clever dummy and finished past McDonnell with his left foot.

Havern notched his second point of the half with an excellent hooked effort on 23 minutes but he was sin-binned by Armagh Referee Paudie Hughes four minutes later for an apparently innocuous challenge on the touchline.

However, with the Saval forward off the field for 10 minutes, it mattered little for the men in red and black, with Conor Francis playing a slick one-two with midfield partner Daniel McCarthy before fisting over the bar before goalkeeper Rory Burns strode forward to convert a ’45 and a free from the same distance out before the end of the half to leave Down well in front at the interval 2-8 to 1-3. 

Down were dealt a blow less than two minutes after the restart when Ciaran Harney was sin-binned for a foul before Conor McGrady pointed from play and Havern converted a free to make it 2-1 to 1-3. 

In between times, Burns had made an excellent save to keep out Patrick O’Connor’s strike before Havern showed him how it was done at the other end on 42 minutes. After Devlin’s low shot had been beaten out by O’Donnell, Havern collected the ball on the right, cleverly slipped his man before rifling the ball into the top left corner from the tightest of angles with a stunning finish.

McCabe then got in on the act with his only point of the match as he and Havern came off to be replaced by Corey Quinn and Jerome Johnston. Another Devlin free was added to by Down’s fourth goal of the evening as Shane Annett fired home less than 30 seconds after Declan McClements had smashed the post with. 

The home side were attacking at will with Devlin getting his first from play and Francis grabbing his second to make it 4-14 to 1-3 on 53 minutes. Queen’s then got their first point from play courtesy of James Smith before Treanor registered another free, but at that stage it was merely a case of how wide the margin of victory would be for Down. 

Devlin nonchalantly struck over a fine free, his fourth of the match, from wide on the right eight minutes from time and then sub Corey Quinn scored from play a similar position a minute later and then the Mayobridge man added another four minutes from time to make it 4-17 to 1-5.  

Quinn almost added a third in succession only to see his effort come back off the post and Jerome Johnston was on hand to convert the rebound as Down finished off the way they started – in attacking fashion.  



Down: Rory Burns (0-2, 1f, 1’45); Gerard Collins, Niall Donnelly, Ryan McAleenan; Kevin McClorey (0-1), Ruairi Wells, Shane Annett (1-0); Conor Francis (0-2), Daniel McCarthy; Declan McClements (1-0), Paul Devlin (0-5, 4f), Conor McGrady (0-1); Owen McCabe (0-1), Pat Havern (2-3), Ciaran Harney 

Subs: David McKibbin for Collins (13mins), Corey Quinn (0-2) for McCabe (45mins), Jerome Johnston (0-1) for Havern (45mins), Connaire Harrison for Harney (48mins), Aaron McClements for McGrady (52mins)

QUB: Eoghan Mulholland; Matthew Loughran, Oisin Lappin, Conor McCluskey; Niall Rafferty, James Rice, Kieran Hughes (0-2, both frees); Donal McKeever, Emmet Deane; Ryan Treanor (0-2, both frees), Patrick O’Connor, Callum O’Neill (1-0); Ruairi Campbell, James Smith (0-1), Daniel Guinness

Subs: Brendan Gallen for McCluskey (H-T), Ryan Connery for McKeever (47mins), Niall Hannigan for Hughes (47mins), Emmet Donaghy for Rafferty (54mins), Patrick McConnell for Loughran (54mins)

Referee: Paudie Hughes (Armagh)


PICS: Brendan Monaghan


To read more subscribe to our online Newspaper
  • Subscribe – Online Paper
  • View Classifieds
  • Submit Classifieds
  • Download Phone APP
  • Try Online Edition – Interactive Paper
  • View Photos
Online Paper – Subscribe Now