21 SEP 2017
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter

Sports News

Corrinshego clinch semi-final spot

13 September 2017 - by By Manus Loughran

Corrinshego came out on top in an enjoyable encounter with Dorsey Emmet’s at Cullyhanna on Saturday evening. 

Both teams came into this match in good confidence but it was Corrinshego that got off to the better start as Dorsey struggled to deal with their pace and precise passing.

The key moment arrived just before half time when Jordan King burst through the Dorsey defence and bagged a brilliant goal, which put a six-point gap between the sides at the break. 

Although, Dorsey did fight back in the second half and found a way back into the game when Aidan Mackin slotted away a penalty to reduce Corrinshego’s lead to just three points on 51 minutes. But they simply couldn’t build on that goal and Corrinshego held on to secure a deserved victory. 

Points from David Murphy, Phelim Finnegan and the impressive King helped get Corrinshego off to a great start. But points from Gary Mackin and his brother Aidan narrowed the difference to one point after 12 minutes. 

Corrinshego continued to push forward though, and Murphy got a great score, coming off the right flank and firing over from 40 yards to make it 0-4 to 0-2. They almost stretched the lead to five, but Murphy missed a major goal opportunity midway through the half. 

A second point from the consistent Gary Mackin put just one between the sides again. But Corrinshego really began to take control of things from there on. A long-range point from Lee Courtney and a free kick from Finnegan made it 0-6 to 0-3.

A moment of brilliance from young King just before half-time proved to be the pivotal part of the game. The speedy youngster burst through the Dorsey defence and slotted the ball into the net with a brilliant finish to give his side a six point lead at the break. 

The Newry side made a strong start to the second half, with Finnegan scoring from a free, But Dorsey responded with a close-range free from Aidan Mackin after Gary Mackin was fouled. 

A remarkable point from Declan Loye, from what looked to be an impossible angle made it 1-8 to 0-4 on 35 minutes. Murphy built on that with his third point of the game on 40 minutes, as it looked like Corrinshego were closing in on a comfortable victory. 

Dorsey had other plans though, the south Armagh side weren’t willing to be brushed aside, and pushed hard for a comeback in the closing stages. Points from Martin Hearty and Gary Mackin made it 1-9 to 0-6 with 10 minutes to go. 

And soon after, Aidan Mackin grabbed a goal back for them with a penalty, after Gary Mackin’s goal bound effort was foot blocked. Dorsey pushed forward in the closing minutes but they just couldn’t close the gap as Corrinshego piled numbers back and held on to a well-earned victory.

To read more subscribe to our online Newspaper
  • Subscribe – Online Paper
  • View Classifieds
  • Submit Classifieds
  • Download Phone APP
  • Try Online Edition – Interactive Paper
  • View Photos
Online Paper – Subscribe Now